Jake Here- Remember Dominoe Rally? That was a fun game but frustrating. I remember Jessica would "accidently" bump the table just as I was trying to get the last few to stand on their ends. Anyway, the first dominoe in our Sunday school class' "Year of the baby" has fallen. Our good friends Andrew and Kami had their daughter Sophia last week which kicks off the rest of the class churning them out and kinda has me thinking the end must be near. If you haven't heard the story, our class had 6 pregnant girls in it. 5 of the six are within 2-3 weeks of another of the preggo's so they all line up one after another. We have 5 weeks to go and in that time 2 other baby's are supposed to be born. So you can't stop the dominoes now, it's happening. 5 weeks is all that stands between the quiet chair I'm currently rocking in listening to a neighbor probably 4 houses down mow their lawn, and a louder house full of new noises and smells. I doubt it will be this quiet again for another 20-30 years. Crazy...
So now for question and answer time. I'm looking for some viewer responses on this one. Just leave your answer in the form of a comment by clicking on the comment link at the end of this post. I'm planning on taking a week off work when Natalie decides to grace us with her presence and I'm not quite sure what I am going to do with all that time. Am I going to get bored since Natalie will sleep so much and moms and moms in laws and sisters and friends are all over to help out? Should I take my vacation time maybe a month or two later when things get a little crazier and Caroline is home alone? I'm not sure. I would certainly feel weird going to work within a day or two of bringing Natalie home since its such a big deal, but really what do I offer in those first few days?? What do you, the reader, think?
5 comments:
First domino here.
You may think you'll be useless in this situation and that's how many of the women will make or try to make you feel. Rest assured, you are anything but useless.
While it may seem like for the birth of a baby the most important people in Caroline's life are the women who are there to help her, that is not true. YOU are #1, my friend.
When Caroline is in labor she won't be looking for her mom or her sister or your mom or anyone else to be standing beside her. She'll be looking for you. When she's ready to pull her hair out when the baby won't stop crying at night, you will be the one there to comfort her.
I wouldn't give up for anything the week I took off immediately after the birth. I helped Kami and got to know our daughter just the 3 of us. I don't regret for an instant telling her mom and my mom to wait until at least a week after the birth to show up to help. It was just my wife and I at home with the baby. And you know what? We got plenty of sleep, the baby got fed, changed, burped and bathed. Everything was perfect. I will look back on that time as one of the greatest times of my life.
A new baby is an exciting thing and everyone wants to be a part of that. However, when the excitement fades and all that is left is you, Caroline and a baby that needs to be changed, you will be the one that is there. Nothing is more important than that.
Take a week's vacation, Jacob. You would be useless at work anyway. Your body might be there but your brain would be at home with Carline and Natalie. Mothers, sisters, etc. are great at giving reassurance to new parents. They are even better at meal preparation, laundry, and housecleaning while you and Caroline bond with your child.
Well thank you all for your comments! I really didnt expect the responses I got but it was overwhelmingly pro taking a week off work. I am definately in agreement at this time. I'm certainly going to take at least a week and maybe more. Thanks to all who gave their input out of love!
Hi Jake,
Just catching up with your muses, and this one is good. I really like what Andrew said in his comments. I think it's a great idea for you to be home. I should come later only when or if Caroline needs some rest or help with the household. The help will be much more needed down the road on baby number 2 or 3. I'm there for you when ever you need it, you know that, but please dont feel bad if you dont need me right at first. Andrews right, and your going to be a great Dad.
love,
Mom
Leave it to mom to be the first to offer her absence, I may not be so easy to convice! :)
Well looks like I am a little late on this one, but ya I had the same vote anyway. And even if you do feel "useless" in the sense of not physically doing anything Caroline will need you there at least for emotional support. (aka-"No, honey of course you are doing a great job. you are doing EVERYTHING PERFECTLY!!!") I know I would. It can be a scary thing and you want to know that your... partner? that's a horrible word, how about we stick with husband. You would like to know that your partner agrees with all the decisions you make and bonds with baby and is 100% in this with you. Even with all hands on deck, Mr. Dad is muy importante. (sorry i just got out of spanish class) Good luck bro!
Post a Comment